To mark the arrival of the Gooseberry seasaon, last Sunday I baked with some new season Kinsale gooseberries and taught my niece a very simple Summer Gooseberry Crumble With Elderflower Raindrops based on the following recipe:
- 450g Gooseberries.
- 6 Tbsp Elderflower Cordial (Summer Raindrops).
- 6 Tbsp Caster Sugar.
- 100g Pure Irish Country Butter Nicely Chilled & Diced.
- 100g Plain Cream Flour.
- 50g Ground Almonds.
- 50g Caster Sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees or Gas Mark 6.
- Top and tail the gooseberries; slice in half down the centre and place them in the pie dish. Sprinkle with the caster sugar and the drizzle of Elderflower cordial.
- Place the pie dish in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the gooseberries have softened.
- In the meantime, make the crumble by hand and not using a food processer for a nicer finish. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, add the almonds, sugar and rub in the butter until the mixture becomes a rough breadcrumb finish.
- Place the crumble in the freezer for ten minutes for a nicer finish.
- Allow the gooseberry mixture to cool before placing the crumble over them and baking in the oven for a further 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden delicious and the gooseberry mixture is piping over the edges.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving with some softly whipped cream or a summer scoop of homemade vanilla icecream.
* * *
This treat is perfect when sitting alongside the crackling wood of your chiminea on a mild summer evening.